Thursday, December 01, 2005

Ronald, Leave me alone!!!

I remember enjoying going to Taco Bell, Burger King, McDonalds, KFC, and all the other grease joints. For 5 dollars you really got yourself a lot of food! There was so much food to choose from, it was awesome. It was so convenient and quick, within minutes you got your food exactly the way you wanted it. On the way back to the car though, you didn't feel so good! There was that heavy feeling, those burps! You just wanted to get out of there, until you return for dinner at least.

Now that these foods have become forbidden to me I desire them more than ever before. Just driving past one of these places is painful. Its billboards taunt me "2 cheeseburgers for 99cents." If I happen to be walking to close, the smell, its hypnotic, it just draws me in. I know that it didn't have the same affect on me when I was able to eat there, so what's up with that now?? Why something that is now forbidden seems so much more appealing?

I was recently in America visiting some friends on a camping trip, they decided to make a stop at In' and 'out Burger on the way up. I tried to fill myself up before going in, I had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. It was the worse peanut butter and jelly sandwich I ever had. My poor sandwich, how was it supposed to live up to the world famous In' and Out Burger?

They ordered the double double with fries and shake combo. They were given numbers in which they would call you up when your fantasy burger was ready. The anticipation was killing me! I seemed to be much more excited about the whole experience than they were, I guess the peanut butter sandwich did not do its job. Many thoughts rushed through my mind. Maybe if I just had one little bite and spit it out, that would be ok! What is the minimum amount before violating any kind of Torah commandment?

The feast arrived!! It was piping hot, it was just like they had ordered, it was perfect!! I thought it looked better than it did on the pictures on the menu board. They dug in!! As I watched them down these things, they didn't seem to be enjoying them all that much, neither did the rest of the crowd! How could that be? This was In' and Out Burger!!!! I did manage of course to leave that beastful place without tasting any of its magical treats. Walking back to the car though I felt it laughing at me! As if it won or something! That's right, the building itself!! with its bright colors and neon signs!! Like "I knew I could get you in here...hahahahahahhahahah"

Here in Israel you do have the kosher "Burger King," and even a "McDonalds," but its not the same. I am allowed to go in these places, they don't taunt me like the other ones. I can walk by them with no problem. It probably even tastes pretty much the same, minus the cheese of course. I sometimes go to the internet sites of these places, push on menu and gaze at these amazing imagines. You see I like food, but this is something different.

I wonder if Ronald and the rest of his crew would have the same affect on me if suddenly tomorrow it were allowed. I don't think so!!

2 Comments:

At 10:12 PM, Blogger MC Aryeh said...

Glad you were able to resist the temptation! The only thing I ever craved non-kosher food-wise was mallomars - I can't even remember why now...

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger Kalman Rushdie said...

Did you ever see the documentary Super Size Me? It's about a guy who ate nothing but McDonalds food three times a day for a month. He nearly died.

Anyway, there's this bonus track on the DVD of an experiment he ran on McDonalds french fries. All I can say is I don't think I could ever put them in my mouth again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home