Saturday, December 03, 2005

Israeli Brand "Service"

"The customer is always right" Here in Israel, that's not always the case. It seems that most things in a matter of time that are west based eventually make it over to Israel: music, hair styles, clothing, art styles, practically everything!! "Sherut" loosely translated as Service, somehow never made it across the sea, or if it did it was turned away at customs.

To admit that the customer is right means you somehow were wrong!! That doesn't go over so well. That's like letting a car go first at a four way stop sign just because he got there first. Here it's assumed that you do have to stop at the stop sign, but who says you have to wait for someone else. There is a lot of pride on the line with these things, and in most cases your pride comes first.

My first introduction to Israel service was on my first trip to Israel over 15 years ago. I was part of a group and we finally got a day free to do whatever we wanted. We were in the Old Bus Station in Tel Aviv and went to the first sandwich shop that we found. All the sandwiches were pre-wrapped! I asked for a sandwich without tomatoes. He said "ok that's 8.50" I said wait the price says 8 shekels. He said "yes but if there are any changes there is a .50 service charge" I said "wait a minute I don't want extra tomatoes, I just want you to take the ones off that are on my sandwich, use them on the next one." "Sorry sir any changes there is a .50 service charge" another friend of mine who wasn't listening to our conversation asked for just a half of sandwich. He of course answered "that will be 8.50" I said "come on she only wants half a sandwich, keep the other half and sell it or something" "I am sorry any changes there is a .50 service charge." I refused to buy a sandwich there of course and wouldn't let anyone else buy one from there either. I was in shock!!

If he were to give in on the .50 service charge that means he loses. Even if he were at the brink of closure due to lack of sales, he would never give in on the .50 service charge. His pride is on the line, it's not about making money. This of course transfers on the road as well.

Practically every day you almost get in an accident here!! The most common case is as follows: you are driving down the road minding your own business and than whaaaaaaaaaaaaaam! Someone that was just parked on the side of the road pulls right out in front of you without looking at all. When you honk at this guy and empty out all the foul vocabulary words that you can think of, he sticks his arm out the window and motions "what's the problem???"

Most traffic jams here in Israel are because of the following: Moshe sees his friend walking on the sidewalk and decides to stop in the middle of the road to have a conversation with him. Yes, there is a parking spot that he could have pulled in right next to his friend. Yes, there are at least 10 cars behind him. The kicker, he talks to the guy for about 5 minutes while everyone is honking their horns like mad. When he finally does start to move again his arm goes out the window of his car and he gestures to the line of 80 to 100 cars like "what's the problem???" Now you have to understand something very crucial here, he really doesn't think that he did anything wrong at all here.

Lines!! That's the best. In Israel the concept of lines does not exist. When the bus comes you better be ready! When that door opens its a mad rush, a space that normally allows room for one person to enter is now filled with at least two people, an extra arm, and at least one foot. I've seen more action getting on busses than fighting to get to the front at a heavy mettle concert.

I don't think I have ever been to the bank where at least one person by- passes the line of 10 people and heads right up to the teller. Her look on her face is "who the heck are you people and why the heck are you waiting in line" She really wonders what they are doing! I mean she has to use the bank services after all, why are you getting in her way??

The commonality here is: "I am the only person on the face of this planet and I want what I want now" The customer can't be right because that means I'm wrong and my world would be destroyed. The road belongs to me and me only, what these other people are doing on the road and where they came from is a mystery. Why would I wait in line when what I want is up there?

Now of course I can't leave you off with a negative impression of these people. I love this place and the people more than anyone on this planet. They are called "sabras" (cactus fruit) for a reason. Out of the cars, away from business, not in lines, they are a one of a kind people. NO WHERE in the world would its people do so much for each other in times of need. The Heart is pure, the hand is giving, and the love is real. For an occasional near miss at the wheel, an elbow in the jaw when getting on the bus, and being laughed at when you return the curdled milk that you just bought the same day, I wouldn't trade it for the world.

2 Comments:

At 10:27 PM, Blogger MC Aryeh said...

Sweet post. I remember being amazed at just how anti-pedestrian the traffic system is in Israel, how rude and uncooperative sales people are, and how some people will think nothing of robbing an old woman of a bus seat....and yet, I have also seen such unbelievable kindness there as well. How a woman with a carriage is helped on the bus, total strangers reaching to help her with her baby, how drivers will sometimes go out of their way to drop an elderly person off exactly where they want to go, and how willing others are to give hitchhikers a ride. Israelis ARE just like Sabras - prickly only on the outside...

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

Customer service is one of those things that just doesn't exist anymore.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home