Thursday, December 22, 2005

On Eagles Wings

Once again I slipped into my army uniform, wrapped my dog tags around my neck, and was given an m-16. Being that I'm now 37, and talk is going around that most units won't have to do any more melueem (yearly army duty) plus my release date getting nearer and nearer, this could be my last!!! It was only four days!!! I won't forget them.

Day two:
We were transferred on busses deep within the Negev Desert not far from the Egyptian border. They didn't tell us what we would be doing that day. Even the officers said they weren't sure. It was just a practice army duty, so we knew we weren't going in for any serious operations.

The bus dropped us off in the middle of nowhere. No cars, no houses, nothing!!! We than hiked in formation with full gear on our backs (two full water canteens, 5 full cartridges, helmet, gun, and backpack) for 7 kilometers. The main officer told us all to get down and explained to us what we were really doing out there.

In five minutes our unit (90 people) were to be transferred by Helicopter to a certain spot and we were to carry out a practice operation. Yes that's right helicopter!! We are talking huge army helicopter. I was very excited, I always wanted to go into a real army helicopter. He explained to us the formation we would be in, how to enter, how to exit, and where to be when we leave the helecopter. I was in the unit that was to board the first helecopter, second in line behind my officer.

It was just like a scene from Apocalypse now!! The first helicopter appeared. It bellowed out a deep sound that you could feel. Behind it were more. They came in fast. They were huge!!!! The power.....

Our's landed and an officer from within motioned to us to make our move. We started running to it in formation. This was very intense. You have to realize that this is in the middle of the desert, that means lots of sand!! When she landed it created a huge circular wall of sand that slowly makes its way away from the helicopter. It appeared kind of like the pictures you see of the reaction of an atomic bomb after detonation. When this wall hits you, it feels very similar to an ocean wave, it knocks you back! It was absolutely beautiful.

I made my way through the wall of sand and bent my head down a bit and ran towards the entrance. It's hard to believe how big these things are, we later found out that they are able to even carry an arm jeep. The blades above make such a powerful sound that you feel it within your bones. I made it to my spot and looked out the window to the others making their way to their Helicopters. It was such a beautiful scene, its hard for me to explain. It must sound strange to use the word beautiful with objects of war. I was moved deeply I felt like crying!!! I will never forget those moments.

It blasted off!! The power.... We shot up to a thousand feet in seconds. The ride was pretty intense. It blows away any rollercoaster ride. It dropped us off deeper within the desert. We ran to our positions and waited for the rest of the unit and continued the exercise.

There are those momens when you feel so great to be a Jew!! So Proud. This was one of the many that I had. I feel so proud to do my part in the Israel army. When I wear that uniform, when I am with Jews from all over the world, I realize it's a much bigger picture. We are here to protect this precious land and the beautiful people within it. That helicopter with its power blew me away. I think part of the reason I felt like crying out there is because it makes you realize there is even a bigger power, much more powerful than this machine that watches over Israel and its people.

My next blog will be on day four!! A night that made the news!

1 Comments:

At 8:25 PM, Blogger MC Aryeh said...

Josh, you are doing things I used to imagine as a kid while playing G.I. Joe. Never having been in a helicopter myself, I can't fully understand the emotion you must have felt, but I do have a slight idea...Does the military mind you giving out their covert operation secrets?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home