Saturday, December 31, 2005

Surrounded By Angels

It's hard to imagine that one day they won't want to cuddle. One day they will no longer long to hug me. It just won't be right to pinch them anymore. They won't fight to who gets to sit on my lap. They won't run and jump up on me when I haven't seen them for half a day. They will be embarrassed when I try to kiss them in front of their friends. You see, they will be too old for all that!!

I've heard so many times from so many people: "the years just fly by.. And you wake up and your little one is now a teenager" I have made a pledge to myself to fight that the best that I can. I refuse to let them just fly by. I will cherish each moment with them.

Every night when I put my now 3 and 6 year old boys to sleep we go through a certain ritual. Each one lies down on a shoulder and my arms wrap around them as much as I possibly can. They snuggle and try to get as close as possible. I tell them stories, we talk about the Parsha, and than we play 'imagine if.' Every night they seem to get more and more creative. After the opening imagine if... they can say whatever comes to their minds. Tonight's: Yishiah (3)( "imagine if the heater went downstairs went outside, walked to the park, went on the swings, came home, walked upstairs, and turned back into a heater." Yonah (6) "imagine if the refrigerator turned into a stove, took some chicken, cooked the chicken, called us to eat the chicken, and than turned back into a refrigerator."

I know there are those that argue that it's best to lay them down, give them a kiss and get on with your business. I hear it!! But I would not trade those moments for anything in the world. There is no where I would rather be. In those moments the world is a perfect place. Every problem that I have fades away. A deep smile covers my face and fills me up.

We say the Shemah! I give them kisses, they give me hugs, and they fade away into sleep land. They are angels!! In these moments they are perfect in everyway. I thank G-d for the gift of two beautiful healthy boys.

Those priceless moments are more precious than any mortal pleasure. I promise myself never to forget those moments, never to let the time just pass by.

1 Comments:

At 1:27 AM, Blogger MC Aryeh said...

In the middle of your first paragraph I kept hoping it was your kids you were talking about! Josh, you have been given a tremendous gift in those little guys. You are a great dad - it is so amazing that you spend that time with them creating imaginary worlds. Those are the kinds of things kids remember when they are older. Precious times. You are right to hold on to them. A real bracha...very sweet post..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home