Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Superman never died why should I?

I remember my Aunt telling us that she was gone forever. I asked her "what do you mean she will be gone forever, does that mean a really long time?" "no! she is not going to come back EVER!!!" my aunt said. That really hit me hard!

I was maybe about 7 at the time. I have no clue as to who passed away! I think it must have been a great aunt or something. Also I don't know why they chose my Aunt K to stay with us. She must have felt that a bunch of 6 to 11 year olds were ready to hear her opinion on what happens after you die.

It was a very new and strange concept to me, something that could only happen to people that I don't know very well and certainly not to anyone in my immediate family. Did she choose to die? Did she get any type of warning? Why her? where did she go?

At the age of 7 the thought of me possibly dying was out of the question, impossible!! Growing up and having life sometimes show its darker side, the personal question of "when is my time??" pops up from time to time. In grade school and even high school I was invincible. I was to live to be 120 and most likely way beyond. College life has passed and I'm now in my late 30's. Although I've walked close to the line a few times I still never really felt that is a real possibility. At what age does one really feel the knock is about ready to hit the door? 70? late 80,s?119? or never???

1 Comments:

At 10:19 PM, Blogger MC Aryeh said...

I also want to tell you that the story
about the sand in the bottle on MCs blog is absolutely beautiful.

I think I became aware of my mortality once my grandmother died a few years ago. It is amazing how death never truly entered my life as a concept until then.

I am not scared I will die imminently, but I no longer think of myself as invincible or immortal, as I did when a kid. Life has been too real for that...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home