Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Happy T'B Shvaut to a very special 1000 trees.

"What do you mean I have no connection to Israel??? I planted a TREE there and have a little paper to prove it." Over 75 percent of the Jews in the world have never stepped foot on this holy land yet most have had a TREE planted in their name here. What's so special about a TREE?

My parents moved from one of the biggest armpits of America, Los Angeles, to the middle of nowhere. It was a decision based on where it would be best to raise two boys. Hell on earth, or on the top of this mountain on 42 acres surrounded by billions of TREES, streams, ponds, and even an occasional bear appearance. I commend them on one of the many good decisions they made in life.

One thing this particular piece of property was not lacking was TREES! There were lots of TREES. NO! You don't understand, were talking woodpecker heaven. When the box came in the mail from the forest service with 1000 saplings I don't think anybody understood what my father was thinking. "Dad, I think we have enough TREES already!!!"

I can't say those are the best memories I have growing up, me and my brother watering those trees a couple times a week. Some could be reached by attaching the 4 fifty yard hoses together, but a good number had to be watered by bucket. That means filling it up at the stream and hiking to each TREE!! My brother reminds my father of this every time he sees him. "Dad what's up with those TREE'S??? 2 billion TREES weren't enough???"

Sometimes it's hard for a parent to notice the physical growth of their children. Others who haven't seen them for a month or so well say "wow he grew so fast." Growing up amongst these TREES, I hardly noticed their growth. I didn't even pay attention that new TREE'S were even sprouting up from these TREES.

My father never explained himself. He is a very humble wise man, one of the wisest I have ever met. He knew one day we would learn on our own. Some things just can't be taught with words. If you were to go there today, it would be hard to differentiate between the ones we planted and the original ones that inhabited the land before. We changed the natural habitat of a mountain. We created new homes for millions of species of animals. We increased the oxygen supply on the planet. We made a difference!!!

Rav Orlowek in one of his lectures stated "a great man is one that plants a TREE in his lifetime with the intention of its fruits to be eaten by the generations that follow" There is a lot to be said about that, take from it what you may. These TREE'S that he planted make a long term positive change on this earth. Just because there are billions of TREES here doesn't mean that you don't have to plant one. If you don't, you missed one of the most important lessons of life. "YOU!!!!!!" have to do your efforts to make a long-term positive change in this world.

Unfortunately for many, their claim to a positive impact on this earth is in the form of a 3 by 3 card with JNF written on it. Others will plant their TREE themselves here and even have a picture to prove it. In extremely rare occasions you will find people like my father who will create a whole forest and change this world for the good in more ways than they will ever know.

2 Comments:

At 10:24 PM, Blogger MC Aryeh said...

Beautiful. You are doing some mighty fine planting for your two little guys as well. I would love to see where you grew up one of these days, Sounds like a children's paradise....

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger oishkapipik said...

I think Deff is still a bit bitter! The hoses were ok! But the bucket hikes?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home